Thursday, January 03, 2008

It's an old song, but a bad one

Roamin' in the gloamin' by the bonnie banks o' Clyde,
Roamin' in the gloamin' with a lassie by ma side!
When the sun has gone to rest
,
That's the time that I love best.

Oh, it's lovely roamin' in the gloa-o-o-omin'!

One of the songs made popular by the late - very very late - music hall artist, Harry Lauder (after whom, they named the post lauder). They're not writing songs like that any more. Thank god.
Why this stagger down memory lane, I hear you ask. No idea, mes potes. It just "stepped into my mind", as my old Swiss boss, Erhardt J C Waespi used to say (One of his many contributions to English idiom, along with an exhortation not to "sit on our laurels" and if we had to, to start again "from the scratch"). It came to me as I poured bleach down the sink to get rid of the drain smell.
I think it's time I got a life.

No comments: