Thursday, September 21, 2006

Dupuytren’s Contracture

There are only two parts of the human body where the skin does not move freely: the palms of your hands and the soles of your feet. It has something to do with swinging about in trees, I believe. A strange thing can happen to the palms of your hands, namely, that the tissue below the surface can contract, causing hard lumps on your palms, and, more seriously, pulling your fingers forward into a clawlike position (usually the annular finger).

I have already had an operation on my left hand for Dupuytren’s Contracture, and I shall soon need an operation on my right hand.

Of course, there is no reason why you should give a tinker’s cuss about my medical condition, and there is no reason why I should tell you about it, except that I was looking for an excuse to post a picture of a pretty nurse. Well a person has to do something to brighten up a dull autumn day.

4 comments:

d~ said...

"...it tends to run in families and may indicate that you have Viking ancestry!"

I'm sure that information doesn't make it better, but at least you can brag, "It's my Viking heritage that's caused this."

Jake Allsop said...

I didn't know that, D~. I wonder what the other indicators of Viking ancestry might be....

Anonymous said...

The other indicator of Viking ancestry is the need--a painful need actually--to come and visit Sweden and, in particular, Kartrineholm, Sweden so long as you bring the nurse! :)

You have a fine blog indeed! Visuals are great!

With all good wishes from Sweden,

Michael Flessas
Katrineholm Review (blog)
http://katrineholm.blogspot.com

Jake Allsop said...

Thank you, Michael. I am unlikely to visit your town in Sweden, but I have happily visited your blog. And I greatly admire a people whose language contains one of the sexiest letters in the Latin alphabet, namely the a with a little circle over it: å. Wow!
Cheers
Jake