Thursday, September 07, 2006

Kiwi Kids


These two ragamuffins are my New Zealand grandsons.
Joseph
I know the the elder, Joseph, well, because he visited me frequently when the family still lived in England. His great love in life is trains - see my post about my Jinty. He was also fascinated by my garden pond, into which he fell twice, the first time by pushing an ornamental stone frog into the water and falling in after it; the second time because, presumably, he believed you could push a stone frog into the water and still stay dry. I keep the pond filled to the brim against the day when he comes to visit me again to attack my frog.
Matthew
The younger, Matthew, whom I tend to call "Mighty Matt" on account of his toddler muscularity, is less well known to me: conversation with two-year olds is even more difficult than small talk with a Swede. Matthew clearly models himself on the Buddha, for he has an endless smile and a nice pot belly (or had: maybe NZ has slimmed him).

OK, OK, I know, other people's grandchildren are not cute or interesting, so I will conclude with a quick burst of pointless philosophising. Will these two urchins, when they are all grown up, be as interested in their family history as I have become in mine? Will they look at old photographs and wonder who everyone is?

Dad, who's this fat old geezer in the photo, the one with straggly beard?
That's your Grandad, Joseph.
Your father?
Yes, that's right.
I can see why we emigrated to New Zealand, Dad.

3 comments:

Heidi the Hick said...

I really enjoyed your family stories and pictures. You've been busy!

Jake Allsop said...

Thanks, IALEnglish, you make me blush!
Thanks, Heidi. My only worry now is whether my family will disown me, or maybe just sue me!
Keep the faith.

heartinsanfrancisco said...

The children are adorable! And Joseph (my own grown son's name) seems to have the kind of persevering spirit that makes people successful. Perhaps it's the name. :<)

I've never been to New Zealand, but it looks to be incredibly beautiful. I hope you're able to visit often.