Friday, September 29, 2006

Extreme Dreams

This is the title of a current BBC programme in which ordinary people are invited to expose themselves to extraordinary situations, such as climbing Mount Kilimanjaro, joining a marathon run across the Sahara desert, rowing solo across the Atlantic, and so on. The programme's intro includes the statement: "...not everyone will complete the course, but, for those who do, their lives will never be the same."
Yep, I can attest to that.
Years ago, when I was reasonably fit and lissome, I was part of a ringing expedition to ring Storm Petrels on an island off the north coast of Scotland. On the way, the colleague with whom I was travelling said that, as it was my first time in the Highlands, I should climb a Monroe. A Monroe is a mountain over 3000 feet. With his help I did it, crawling the last few yards to add my stone to the cairn, the heap of stones on the summit formed by all those who had previously climbed this mountain.
"What's the technique for going down?" I asked my companion.
"Leaping like a goat," he said.
So I leapt like a goat.
It took four months for my injured left knee to get back to some kind of normal. Now, decades later, I still have problems with my left knee.
Listen, my beloveds, if someone invites you to experience an "Extreme Dream", tell him* to geh kak afn yam. I am sure I don't need to translate that particular Yiddishism.
By the way, I have been to the foot of Mount Kilimanjaro. It is a beautiful mountain, and I am content to admire it from way down below.

*I will not add /her, because generally women are much too intelligent to fall for this macho kak.

No comments: