Thursday, March 22, 2007

A desirable object

British Television is awash with programmes about antiques and collectables: The Antiques Road Show, Flog It, Cash in the Attic, Car Booty, etc.
The result is that ordinary jacks and jills like you and me are much better informed than we used to be. I now know, for example, who Clarice Cliff is, or was. It is a source of great irritation to the sellers of antiques and collectables that ignoramuses like me are harder to fool than we used to be.
I love these programmes.
The airwaves are equally awash with images of sexy women, but at my stage of the game, antiques win hands down.
Mind you, sometimes, fate throws a sort of amalgam my way. I am in love, for instance, with the antiques expert and auctioneer Anita Manning. Fortunately for both of us, she is not aware of my passion.
If only she were a collectable.....

No comments: