Friday, March 09, 2007

The Marmalade WHAT?

As a regular reader of this blog, you and Mrs Trellis are undoubtedly interested in wildlife. Me too. In fact, in all modesty, I can say that I have now reached the stage where I can easily separate a Mew Gull from a Daffodil even without hearing them sing. And so, driven by my endless yearn for self-improvement, I took out a subscription to British Wildlife (I have no idea how wildlife knows that it's British, but that's another theme for another day).
British Wildlife is, and I am serious here, a wonderful publication. But - isn't there always a but?- I quickly lose heart. Let me give you an example of the kind of thing that immediately takes the steam out of my sails. In the current issue, in the section called Wildlife Reports, in the subsection called Flies, the first sentence reads: "That the year 2006 was a poor one even for the Marmalade Hoverfly Episyrphus baltaetus speaks volumes."
It may speak volumes to Roger Key of English Nature and his entomobuddies, but I can't hear a damn thing.

No comments: