Friday, March 23, 2007

Medical Update

I am now down from DEFCOM 3 to DEFCOM 1; from Red alert to Amber: the lower back pain is now reduced to lower back ache, with occasional spectacular buttock-clenching twinges. Soon, inshallah, I shall be back in the Green. And not a moment too soon, given the deadline for the Oriole book, and, more worryingly, the ongoing flood of letters from Mrs Trellis of North Wales. Here is, so help me, her latest:
Dear David Attenborough, I watched your programme called "Life in the Freezer" and was immediately reminded of otters. My late husband, Mr Trellis, during the terrible 1947 winter, found a dead otter and put it in our cold store. I later, after his tragic death - Mr Trellis's, not the otter's - transferred it - the otter, not Mr Trellis's body - to the freezer compartment of my Philips Combi refrigerator-freezer, a wonderful machine, as I am sure you will agree (Does Mrs Attenborough have one? I'm sure she does).
Seeing your inspiring programme prompted me to revisit our frozen otter, but it was then I remembered that we had defrosted it and made it into an Otter Hotpot on the occasion of the Queen's Silver Jubilee. I feel terrible. Please reassure me that this will not have affected the Welsh otter population.


No comments: