Thursday, March 08, 2007

Thinking inside the box

STOCK DOVE
Yet another triumph of optimism over experience, I have completed the Barn Owl nestbox for the Pining Widow. It is, of course, tempting fate to call it a "Barn Owl" nestbox, even if it is designed for that species. What I mean is that there are a number of other species that might well occupy it, of which the likeliest is Stock Dove (Columba oenas), known in the Fens as the Blue Rock, often confused with the common Wood Pigeon and as such blown to smithereens by local Billies-the-Kid.
Swift Nestbox update: one of the two experimental boxes erected in the middle of Cambridge has been occupied. By Starlings. The house occupant, aka Pluvialis, is very happy about this, so naturally I am happy about it too.
Ignore the sound of my teeth grinding: I am still thinking about Stock Doves taking over the Pining Widow's box.....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jake,

What I want to know is, do kestrels come back to nest in the same box they used last year? I was lucky to have kestrels in the box you put up in the willow tree; and now I think there is another tenant, but am not sure what lives there...there are rather untidy long twigs sticking out of the box, but I can't see any sign of life. Am hoping for kestrels again.

Love

JOHANNA

Jake Allsop said...

Yes, Kestrels will use the same box year after year. I am so happy to know yours was used.
The long twigs sticking out are, however, ominous. Much more likely to be Jackdaws.
Love
Jake