Wednesday, March 21, 2007

The human touch

Mrs Green, lying on her hospital bed, upbraids the doctor when he comes on his daily round to check on her condition.
"Doctor, I know you are eminent in your field, but, if I could make one tiny criticism, you check me over, you decide the treatment I need, but you never ask me how I am. The human touch, doctor, is really important. Forgive me for telling you this."
The doctor nods, goes away and thinks about what she has said, and realises she is right.
So, next morning, on his visit to Mrs Green's bed, he smiles and says "How are you today, Mrs Green?"
"Doctor, don't ask!" she replies with a deep sigh.

I note that none of my readers have asked me how I am, which is not nice considering my struggle with lower back pain. Thank goodness I at least received a sympathetic note from Mrs Trellis of North Wales, to wit:
'Dear Terry Wogan', she wrote, 'I was so sorry to hear that you had been savaged in the lower back by a minke whale. You would think they would have heard by now all the wonderful things you are doing for the environment. Maybe the poor beast thought you were plankton.'

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You were injured by a minke whale? I am very interested to hear the story. I study them off the west coast of the U.S. While I have not been injured by them directly, my back has taken quite a beating, chasing them about in a small motor boat. To quote one of our recent presidents, "I feel your pain".

I am very sorry about the pain they have given you. I shall give them a good talking to next time i see one. I empathize and hope you feel better soon.

jonathan stern
jonney@sfsu.edu