Saturday, March 17, 2007

Life's googlies


My beloveds, I have an urgent message for you all, and Mrs Trellis of North Wales: life never ceases to bowl unexpected googlies at you. Actually, that's a silly thing to say, because googlies are by definition unexpected (Apologies to my transatlantic readers, who will be as mystified by a googly as any English batsman. Incidentally, V, great to hear from you today).

What I mean is, you can reach my age and still have new experiences, which is really comforting when you think about it, and certainly more life-affirming than lower back pain.

Anyway, back to my new experience. I am really excited by this latest never-did-this-before moment. Tonight I ate an Alaska pollock. To be accurate, I ate a fillet from an Alaska pollock. I have no idea what proportion of a complete AP I ate, but I can tell you that this fish is probably rectangular judging from the shape of my fillet.

The pollock or pollack- a fish that cries out for bad puns - is, according to Wikipedia:
largely considered to be a white fish, although it is a fairly strongly flavored one. Alaska pollock has a much milder taste, whiter color and lower oil content. High quality, single frozen whole Alaska pollock fillets may be layered into a block mold and deep frozen to produce fish blocks that are used throughout Europe and North America as the raw material for high quality breaded and battered fish products...Single frozen Alaska Pollock is considered to be the premier raw material for surimi; the most common use of surimi in the United States is "imitation crabmeat" (also known as crab stick).
I don't know from kak about all that, but I am intrigued to know why there is no -n on Alaska. Seems a bit of a pose to me, like those people called Finch who spell their names ffinch. The Alaska pollock was all right, but personally, I'd rather have ccod or hhaddock.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your kind words!
As a pisces, I love to be embedded in your fish story!
See you at "El Pescador" some day! V.

Jake Allsop said...

Sounds a bit fishy to me, V, but I'm never one to turn down a lunch invitation. CYA L8ER.