Friday, April 13, 2007

Only the one, but a good 'un

Last night, both moth traps set and hopes high, I could hardly sleep. This morning, just at dawn, I waded into the garden, wetting my toes in the morning dew in order to secure the traps so that the moths inside them would be safe from marauding Robins and Blackbirds in search of a cheap breakfast.
Later, I emptied the traps. It wasn't an arduous task. There was only one moth, and it wasn't even in a trap; it was clinging to the side. It was a new species for me. I potted it and then scoured the Field Guide in search of an identity for it. I later took it to my guru, David H, who gently steered me away from my misidentification and in the direction of the correct one.
It was a Muslin Moth. When I entered it in my notebook later, I inadvertently typed in Muslim Moth. I felt really bad about that. After all, it IS Friday and the poor thing should have been at prayer, not frazzling its antennae in a plastic pot. Don't say anything, please: I don't want another fatwa slapped on me.
Envoi: a curious fact about this moth is that the females fly during the day, the males during the night, so when they get together to do the business, Allah only knows.

No comments: