Thursday, April 26, 2007

Trellis on adjectives

Once again, Mrs Trellis is moved to take up her pen:
Dear Alistair Cooke,
she writes, I am so glad to see you are keeping up your Letter from America, quite remarkable too, you being dead, if you will pardon the expression. Anyway, I wanted to say how much I agree with your sentiments about adjectives. The only adjective we really need is "nice", as in a nice day, a nice dress, a nice wheatear, etc. Of course if something is not nice, you need to say it is not a nice day, not a nice dress, not a nice wheatear, etc. People only use other adjectives to show off, like that friend of yours who wore Smyrna slippers.
Well, that's it. "Have a nice day", as you Americans say, though I don't know what a nice day is for someone who is deceased. Quiet, I'd say, if you'll pardon the adjective.
Yours, Mrs Blodwen Trellis, Widow, retired

No comments: