Thursday, April 12, 2007

Wha' ?

Reading young people's blogs is turning out to be a really depressing experience. So much angst, so much boredom, so much anger. And all of it expressed in language which borders on the illiterate. I just hope that these unhappy bloggers are not typical of today's generation. I am not sneering or looking down on these youngsters. My principal emotions are sadness and frustration: sadness, because we seem to have let them down during their upbringing; and frustration, because I can think of no way I can help.
Mind you, all this disintegration is as nothing compared to the universal adoption of the glottal stop by today's youngsters. "Wha' a lo' o' li''le bo''les (What a lot of little bottles) used to be a humorous way of characterising cockney speech. Nowadays, it seems, to have any street cred at all, you've got to talk like the Pearly Queen.
Well, fu' tha'.

No comments: