Thursday, April 12, 2007

A word to the wise

Ever ready with a wise comment, Mrs Trellis does it again:
Dear Ken Livingstone, she writes, I so agree with your assessment of today's youth: despite repeated complaints, our paper boy still throws the newspaper on the lawn instead of putting it through the letterbox. Bring back National Service, that's what I say. It never did my husband, the late Mr Trellis, any harm, except for smoking Woodbines, a habit he picked up while lying on his bunk at RAF Wyton for two years while waiting for World War III.
I didn't really understand what you were getting at with all that about glottal stops, but I am sure that you, being Mare of London, will find a way to make today's youth speak proper, and not with their mouths full neither.
PS Have you ever visited Ujiji? Maybe you are not into family history, though, you being so busy congesting London's traffic, etc.

3 comments:

Nea said...

I give up.
Who is Mrs Trellis?
She has been confusing me for sometime.
Does she have a blog of her own?

Jake Allsop said...

Mrs Trellis of North Wales is a tireless writer of letters to me. Unfortunately, the dear lady is very muddled and addresses me as, for example, "Dear Lorraine Kelly" or similar well-known figures (in the UK, anyway). I publish her letters on my blog as a kind of public service. The question you might have lingering in your mind is: does she really exist, or is she a figment of my imagination? Not telling, he he he.

Nea said...

Wha'
(I learnt that from you!)
Mrs Trellis a figment?
I don't think she'd like that.